In recognition of emerging demographic and clinical trends internationally, the WAIS-IV SA was developed to provide clinicians with the most advanced measure of cognitive ability. The WAIS-IV SA is a comprehensive measure of adult intelligence that can be used for a variety of psychological purposes;from forming part of a selection battery to determine an individual’s ability to qualify for special services,to identification and treatment of psychological disability. The WAIS-IV SA edition has been adapted to specifically suit the needs of the South African population.
The WAIS-IV SA is composed of 10 core (C) subtests and 5 supplemental (S) subtests, with the 10 core subtests comprising the Full Scale IQ. The WAIS-IV SA produces four index scores made up of the following subtests:
- Verbal Comprehensive Index (VCI): Similarities(C), Vocabulary(C), Information(C), and Comprehension(S)
- Perceptual Reasoning Index (PRI): Block Design(C), Matrix Reasoning(C), Visual Puzzles(C), Picture Completion(S), and Figure Weights(S)
- Working Memory Index (WMI): Digit Span(C), Arithmetic(C), and Letter-Number Sequencing(S)
- Processing Seed Index (PSI): Symbol Search(C), Coding(C), and Cancellation(S)
AREAS OF APPLICATION
The WAIS-IV SA can be used in the following areas:
- Clinical and neuropsychological assessment
- Psycho-legal assessment (e.g., qualification for disability grants, child custody, personal injury,and incapacity evaluations)
- Advising displaced and transitioning employees in outplacement programmes
- Educational planning
- Psychological research
Hand-Scoring: The WAIS-IV SA is hand-scored and information gathered about the individual can be used to compile an interpretive report.
SOUTH AFRICAN RESEARCH
The WAIS-IV SA has been adapted for use in South Africa and has South African norms available. JVR Psychometrics welcomes the opportunity to partner with clients to conduct further research using the WAIS-IV SA edition in South Africa.
Individuals 16 years 0 months to 59 years 11 momths<br> 60 years 0 months to 80 years in research phase
South African English
Integrated report options
© 2021 Pearson Education Ltd 2017