The Hogan Personality Inventory (HPI) describes normal, or bright-side personality qualities, that describe how we relate to others when we are at our best. The assessment captures key behavioural tendencies relevant to how individuals get along with and get ahead of others, by using the Five Factor Model of personality. Whether your goal is to find the right hire or develop stronger leaders, assessing normal personality gives you valuable insight into how people work, how they lead, and how successful they will be.
The HPI includes the following scales:
- Adjustment: Self-confidence, self-esteem, and composure under pressure
- Ambition: Initiative, competitiveness, and desire for leadership roles
- Sociability: Extraversion, gregariousness, and a need for social interaction
- Interpersonal Sensitivity: Warmth, charm, andthe ability to maintain relationships
- Prudence: Self-discipline, responsibility, and conscientiousness
- Inquisitive: Imagination, curiosity, vision and creative potential
- Learning Approach: Enjoys learning, staying current on business-and technical matters
And six occupational scales:
- Service Orientation: Attentiveness and courteousness towards customers
- Stress Tolerance: Composure, calm under pressure
- Reliability: Honesty, positive organisational citizenship
- Clerical Potential: Self-discipline, meticulousness, and the ability to communicate clearly
- Sales Potential: Energy, social skills, and the ability to solve problems for customers
- Managerial Potential: Leadership ability, planning, and decision-making skills
AREAS OF APPLICATION
The HPI predicts job performance by assessing normal personality and therefore provides useful insights for both recruitment and selectionas well as individual development initiatives.
The HPI has the following software reports available, some of which form part of packages where the HPI, HDS and MVPI need to be completed depending on the report option required:
- Data report: provides numerical scores for the primary scales.
- Graph report: provides scores for primary scales inagraphical format.
- Flash report: designed for use by acoach or user with expertise to interpret based on numbers alone, no interpretive narrative is included
- Insights report: notes strengths, as well as areas for improvement, providing discussion points for developmental feedback
- Hogan General Employability report: summarises a candidate’s employability potentialby reporting onpeople skills, learning skills and work ethic
- Career report: identifies individuals’strengths, potential shortcomings, tips for career development and a graphic representation of their scores on the primary scales
- Manage report: identifies employee strengths as well as their potential shortcomings, with tips to optimise employee performance
- Configure report: aids determining key attributes, qualities and skills to accurately evaluate potential talent
- Hogan Basis: provides a hiring recommendation, behavioural interview guide, and systematic method using a combination of the assessment and interview results.
- Hogan Express: identifies candidatesas high, moderate, or low fit for a job, taking into account their strengths, areas of concern, and interview style based on seven dimensions that influence occupational success.
- Safety for Development report: provides a graphic summary and interpretation of a participant’s safety-related behaviour
- Safety for Selection report: outlines participants’ strengths and areas of concern, relating to a general employment fit for a safety-critical work environment
- Coaching report: a self-guided, comprehensive development-planning tool for individual leadership development
- HPI Potential report: prioritises areas where focus and attention should be targeted, resulting in maximised leadership potential
- Engaging Leader report: describes four key competencies of engagement paired to personality scales
- Hogan Leader Focus: provides information on leadership behaviour across six areas of leadership and suggests tips and possible biases which can further assist the candidate in their development efforts.
- Summary report: provides an overview of a participant’s strengths, challenges and values, therefore integrating results across the HPI, HDS and MVPI.
- Hogan Team report: provides information on team roles, team culture, team derailers as well as individual scores to serve as a tool that may facilitate team performance
SOUTH AFRICAN RESEARCH
South African norms are available for the HPI using candidates from the corporate environment in South Africa. The psychometric properties of the instrument have been investigated and numerous local criterion-referenced studies havebeen completed. Furthermore, JVR Psychometrics welcomes the opportunity to partner with clients in conducting research using the HPI in their organisations.
Individuals 18 years and older
Global and SA Norms
English and multiple languages
User Portal/JvR Online/Data-capturing by Client Services
Integrated report options
© 2021 Hogan Assessment Systems Inc.