The Bayley-III is a comprehensive tool for identifying, measuring, and assessing a child’s developmental functioning, strengths, competencies and weakness areas. It may be used to establish whether children as young as 1 month old to 42 months old are experiencing any developmental delays, which can assist professionals to address early childhood issues and concerns by planning interventions before they become lifelong problems. It is easy to administer using a caregiver’s or parent’s involvement, thus allowing more input to be gathered from the child’s natural environment. Additionally, all assessment factors are based on the age of the child, allowing for more accurate developmental assessments. The Bayley-III can also be used as a screener to decide whether a need exists for further in-depth assessment.
- Adaptive–adapted from the Adaptive Behaviour Assessment System (2nd edition), considers skills in the communication, self-care, social, health and safety, leisure, self-direction, home living and motor areas to form the General Adaptive Composite
- Cognitive–assesses sensorimotor development, exploration and manipulation, object relatedness, concept formation and memory
- Language–evaluates both receptive and expressive pre-verbal communication behaviours as well as vocabulary and morpho-syntactic development
- Motor–measures fine and gross motor skills such as limb and torso movements, static positioning, dynamic movements, balance and motor planning
- Social-Emotional–determines child’s self-regulation, communication needs, engagement with others and usage of emotional signals and gestures
AREAS OF APPLICATION
The Bayley-III can be used to identify developmental strengths, competencies, delays and weaknesses in small children, assisting practitioners to identify problematic areas and intervene early in the child’s life.
The Bayley-III has the following reports available:
- Bayley-III Scales of Infant Development Caregiver Report: provides the parent/guardian with feedback on the child’s scores on each of the scales as well as developmental activities that they can engage their children with.
- Bayley-III Scoring Assistant Sample Report: consists of tables and graphs, as well as assessment feedback that may be used by the practitioner.
SOUTH AFRICAN RESEARCH
Although South African research and norms are not yet available for the Bayley-III, JVR Psychometrics welcomes the opportunity to partner with clients in conducting research.
Individuals ages 1 - 42 months
30 - 90 minutes
Integrated report options
© 2021 Pearson, All rights reserved.