The Hogan Development Survey(HDS) describes the darkside of personality –identifying critical blind spots and qualities that emerge in times of increased strain, that can disrupt relationships, damage reputations, and derail peoples’ chances of success. By assessing dark-side personality, you can recognise and mitigate performance risks before they become a problem.
The HDS includes the following scales:
- Bold: Overly self-confident, arrogant, with inflated feelings of self-worth
- Imaginative: Creative, but thinking and acting in unusual or eccentric ways
- Colourful: Dramatic, attention-seeking, interruptive, poor listening skills
- Mischievous: Charming, risk-taking, limit-testing, excitement-seeking
- Excitable: Moody, easily annoyed, hard to please, emotionally volatile
- Reserved: Aloof, indifferent to feelings of others, uncommunicative
- Skeptical: Distrustful, cynical, sensitive to criticism, focused on the negative
- Cautious: Unassertive, resistant to change, risk averse, slow to make decisions
- Leisurely: Overtly cooperative, but privately irritable, stubborn, uncooperative
- Diligent: Perfectionistic, hard to please, micromanaging
- Dutiful: Eager to please and reluctant to act independently or against popular opinion
AREAS OF APPLICATION
The HDS predicts job performance by assessing derailment characteristics and identifies problematic aspects of behaviour not detected in an interview and therefore provides useful insights for both recruitment and selection as well as individual development initiatives.
The HDS has the following software reports available, some of which form part of packages where the HPI, HDS and MVPI need to be completed depending on the report option required:
- Data report: provides numerical scores for the primary scales.
- Graph report: provides scores for primary scales in a graphical format.
- Flash report: designed for use by a coach or user with expertise to interpret based on numbers alone, no interpretive narrative is included
- Insights report: builds self-awareness by highlighting behavioural tendencies of which the participant may be unaware.
- Configure report: aids determining key attributes, qualities and skills to accurately evaluate potential talent
- Hogan Basis: provides a hiring recommendation, behavioural interview guide, and systematic method using a combination of the assessment and interview results.
- Coaching report: a self-guided, comprehensive development-planning tool for individual leadership development
- HDS Challenge report: predicts career-derailing behaviours that interfere with the ability to build a cohesive and high-performing team
- Engaging Leader report: describes four key competencies of engagement paired to personality scales
- High Potential Talent report: prioritises areas where focus and attention should be targeted, resulting in maximised leadership potential
- The Agile Leader report: considers individuals’ potential to lead in an ever-changing, digital business environment
- Summary report: provides an overview of a participant’s strengths, challenges and values, therefore integrating results across the HPI, HDS and MVPI.
- Hogan Team report: provides information on team roles, team culture, team derailers as well as individual scores to serve as a tool that may facilitate team performance
SOUTH AFRICAN RESEARCH
South African norms are available for the HDS using candidates from the corporate environment in South Africa. The psychometric properties of the instrument have been investigated and numerous local criterion-referenced studies have been completed. Furthermore, JVR Psychometrics welcomes the opportunity to partner with clients in conducting research using the HDS in their organisations.
Individuals 18 years and older
15-20 minutes (168 items)
Global and SA Norms
English and multiple languages
User Portal/JvR Online/Data-capturing by Client Services
Integrated report options
© 2021 Hogan Assessment Systems Inc.